The title of this post is actually the first line
from a song penned by my brother.
I always give my posts their titles
after I finish writing them.
This line from my brother's song
just kind of "appeared" in my mind.
I'm glad. I really like the song.
...and what it speaks of our Father.
So...the book "short list" I mentioned
in an earlier post...it's getting shorter.
I have begun, to Sweet Husband's delight,
Broken Down House by Paul David Tripp.
It has proven to be every bit as challenging
and encouraging as he said it would be.
To give you a hint of what it's about...
the synopsis on the back cover says,
"Sin has ravaged the house that God created.
This world sits slumped, disheveled, in pain,
groaning for the restoration that can only be
accomplished by the hands of the Builder.
The bad news is that we are living in the midst
of the restoration process. The good news is
that the divine Builder will not relent until his
house is made new again. Someday you will live
forever in a fully restored house, but right now
you are called to live with peace, joy, and
productivity in a place damaged by sin.
Emmanuel lives here with us, and he is at work
returning his house to its former beauty."
So...this book details how we, as Christians,
can live above the damage...
"Even better, how we can be an active part
of the restoration that is at the heart of
God's plan of redemption."
Last night I read a chapter about resting in God's
sovereignty. The following paragraph resonated
in my soul. I hope it encourages you...
"In this broken world you need a place to run for comfort, encouragement, motivation, strength, and rest. There is no better place to run than into the arms of the One who reigns over it all for your sake. No, you won't always understand. Yes, there will be moments when life will seem overwhelmingly difficult. Sure, you will wonder why he has chosen you to go through what you are enduring when the person next to you seems to have it so easy. And there will be times when you are tempted to question his wisdom and love. But in those moments, determine to do this one thing. Determine to run to him and not from him. Run to him with your questions, doubts, confusion, and fear. He loves you; he will not turn you away. He wants you to know rest. This is precisely what he has told you again and again in his Word - that he is in control, so that in those moments when you are confronted with your lack of control, or when life seems out of control, you would know peace. Not because you understand what is happening, but because you know and trust your Father."
Doesn't that just make you feel like you're
wrapped up in a big bear hug?
...and he will never cast you out. (John 6:37)
No comments:
Post a Comment